The Engagement Party and Rainbow Town Hall
May 25, 2021 @ 6:00PM — 8:00PM Hawaii
The Engagement Party and Rainbow Town Hall - Celebrating the 30th anniversary of marriage equality in Hawaii, where it all began! Scroll down for event details.
Please join us for this premiere special event with author Sasha Issenberg speaking about his latest book The Engagement: America's Quarter-Century Struggle Over Same-Sex Marriage. O: The Oprah Magazine included The Engagement on its list of "32 LGBTQ Books That Will Change the Literary Landscape in 2021," calling it "part Grisham-esque legal thriller, part Sorkin-esque political drama, and part Maddow-esque historical yarn." Sasha will offer a sneak preview of the book and unique details about the people and circumstances in Hawaii that launched this human rights evolution for the nation.
Tickets include a hard cover edition of the book or Kindle version, plus a signed bookplate from Sasha. The program concludes with a Rainbow Town Hall featuring Hawaii panelists with unique perspectives from the courtroom and the Capitol:
• Dean Hamer (moderator) Dean Hamer is an Emmy Award winning filmmaker, New York Times Book of the Year author, and National Institutes of Health scientist. His research helped change public understanding of human sexuality, and his innovative storytelling has led to popular books and documentaries including the recent Oscar-shortlisted Kapaemahu.
• Honorable Dan Foley - Distinguished jurist and champion of civil rights. He represented the plaintiffs in the original marriage equality suit against the Department of Health. His career has been rooted in civil rights equality in Hawaii. Today he serves as a nonresident Justice of the Supreme Court of Palau.
• Genora Dancel - She boldly took on the cause of equality and public spokesperson as one of the original plaintiffs in a case that would be decided in her favor by the Hawaii Supreme Court.
• Speaker of the House Scott Saiki - As a member of the HI House of Representatives since 1994, Speaker was one of just a few members who voted against a proposed constitutional amendment in 1997 to authorize the Legislature to ban same-sex marriages. The tide against marriage equality was sweeping out then and few politicians were willing to risk doing the right thing.
• Senator Chris Lee - As a freshman legislator in 2008 he boldly advocated for civil unions at a time when many saw even this small step, as too much, too soon. In 2013, he served as spokesperson for the Hawaii United for Marriage campaign. "It's never the wrong time to do the right thing."
We'll be ordering all the hardcover books through Kaimuki's own da Shop: books + curiosities, a local store that embraces the people and stories of Hawaii. You will receive an e-mail when the book is available for you to pick up (best option for people on Oahu). A kindle version of the book is also available. Shipping of hard cover books is not offered at this time. All prices include HI GET.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Hawaii LGBT Legacy Foundation and our mission to support, empower, educate, unify, and facilitate LGBT organizations and individuals in Hawaii.